GRM 2010 GRM 2011

Abstract Details

Family Name:
First Name:
Title of Paper:
Pillars of Renewable Energy Transition Plan in the Sultanate of Oman
Paper Proposal Text :
The Sultanate of Oman occupies the south-eastern corner of the Arabian Peninsula and the level of solar energy density in Oman is among the highest in the world. Several studies has emphasized that solar and wind power as having the greatest commercial-scale potential for the country. Despite this important potential, the electricity sector in Oman is primarily fueled by natural gas and oil. As of 2011, 97.5% of the installed electricity capacity was fueled by natural gas and the remaining 2.5% was fueled by diesel. At the same time the energy sector is facing several continuing and emerging constrains. During the last decade, the sustained growth of the population and the expansion of heavy industry have put a strain on Oman's power infrastructure. The Sultanate of Oman has developed significant levels of gas based petrochemical and refining sector which contributed to 6.3% of the GDP in 2011. These sectors are natural gas intensive industries and requires a consistent supply of gas. However, with rapidly increasing natural gas requirements for power generation, the supply to such industries could be limited. To satisfy the capacity needs, the country import gas through the 200 million cubic feet per day (Mcf/d) Dolphin pipeline from Qatar via UAE. In addition to the power sector, depleting oil fields and enhanced oil recovery has developed as another major source of gas consumption. Given such circumstances, a trend to shift towards renewable energy is clearly visible in the country. This paper details the cornerstones of the Renewable Energy Transition Plan in Oman through the description of the main steps towards a renewable future in the country.